"The growth of understanding follows an ascending spiral rather than a straight line." ~Joanna Field

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Image favouriting sites.

What's with the sudden rash of them, anyway?

We Heart It, Vi.sualize.us, Pintrest... The fact that there are three reasonably major ones means there were probably a number of minor ones that floundered.

Trouble is, what do you pick?

Well, if you're like me, all of them. Then narrow it. I started on We Heart It, and liked it a lot, but I found their off-site favouriting so clumsy it didn't do it for me.

Then I found VisulizeUs, which allows me to add a widget to my browser, letting me right-click and favourite the image that way, and even share it to social medias from there.

That is what I currently find to be the best.

Howeverrrrr, I heard about Pintrest. So I thought I'd try it. However they are in invitation-only mode, so I put in for an account. With luck it won't take too long and I can start scoping the place out. I want to pick one, and stay there. (Moving 1000+ images will not be fun if I move from VisualizeUs), but I want the one I pick to be reasonably permanent on the web and to have enough user-friendliness to it that I don't hate it every time I think about it.

There is also the issue of things like Ravelry and DeviantArt. There are things I like (sometimes love!) and I want to share that with people. However, they have their own individual built in favouriting systems, and I have to wonder if it would be weird to "Visualize/Heart/Pin" them. So I tend to use the built in systems first, then post things if that doesn't work/isn't available.
Which really goes against this whole connectivity/conglomerate/single page thing I want going on.

Ah, what is an internet addict to do.

I feel like asking reader questions this week, so I'll do another:
Do you use a favouriting site? Which one? If not, how do you keep track of all the things you see/do on the web and want to remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment